Let’s focus on the big picture today. Semi-sweet chunks and white chocolate chips?? All we’re missing is a nice cold glass of milk and a good movie. Do you need me to sell you more?? Okay – well there’s the antioxidant benefits of chocolate, the great fiber with the substitution of whole-wheat flour and if you have a bar with a glass of low-fat or fat-free milk you’re also getting calcium, vitamin D and good lean protein. Hey, it’s all about balance right?!
Black and White Blondies (adapted from Barefoot Contessa)
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure
- vanilla paste
- 2 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 11 ounces semisweet chocolate chunks
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugars on medium-high speed for 5 minutes, until light and fluffy.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the dry ingredients including nuts and chocolate - set aside.
- With the mixer on low, add the vanilla, then the eggs, one at a time, and mix well, scraping down the bowl after each addition. With the mixer on low, slowly add flour mixture to the butter mixture. Scrape down the sides of the bowl to ensure all is well encorporated.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake for 30 minutes exactly. Don't overbake! A toothpick may not come out clean. Cool completely in the pan and cut into 36 bars. I know that sounds like a lot but you really only need a couple bites.
I know I promised to focus on the big picture – but who said the big picture can’t include pretty and functional pieces. I am absolutely in LOVE with my new buffet. It’s nicely storing some low rimmed bowls, extra mugs, a cake stand, napkins, table runners, serving utensils and a cocoa carafe.