My coworker and friend informed me this morning that I have not shared the Bliss Banana Bread recipe. I make this recipe at least once a month and it is always gone within a couple days (if that). I never liked banana bread. I like my bananas with some green at the edges and the idea of eating browned, riped bananas was offensive to me. But lots of people love banana bread which means I should know how to make it. Plus my husband adores it so it had to be a delicious recipe. I found this recipe a couple years ago. It was the first recipe I tested out of the Flour Cookbook. After this I dove right in making loads of other goodies (chocolate hazelnut cookies, pineapple upside down cake, etc). Say you don’t want to make it but you still want to try it… Well oddly enough I can help with this. Check out the listing here: Feeding Bliss Banana Bread
Banana Bread, adapted from Flour
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 eggs (or 1 egg + 1/4 cup liquid egg substitute)
- ½ cup canola oil
- 3 ½ medium bananas, very ripe, peeled and mashed
- 2 tablespoons light sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup walnut halves, toasted and chopped
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, sift together all-purpose flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Stir in whole wheat flour and walnuts; set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (or with a hand-held mixer), beat the sugar and eggs together on medium speed for 5 minutes until light and fluffy.
- On low speed, slowly drizzle in the oil; nearly drop-by-drop. Add in bananas, sour cream and vanilla extract. Continue to mix until just combined.
- Fold the flour/nut mixture into the oil/sugar mixture until just combined. There should be no streaks of flour but it should be evenly distributed.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 60-85 minutes until golden brown and the center springs back when you touch it. Let cool in the pan on a wire rack for at least 30 minutes. Remove from pan to finish cooling.