Monday again and we are hunkering down for another long week. These past four weeks have been filled with diet education and wound-healing consults. I feel as though I could cite off energy, protein and vitamin/mineral needs for wounds in my sleep – who knows, maybe I am. I am approaching the halfway point of my clinical rotation and I cannot quite believe it’s gone by so fast! As Gretchen Rubin so aptly said- the days are long but the years are short. Time goes by too fast to settle for a bad meal.
One pot meals have taken center stage in the Bliss house as of late and as such Pinterest and The Kitchn have been a great source of inspiration. This recipe appealed to us because it seemed like a chipotle bowl all mixed together and how can that be bad? I mean it’s cheesy, it has avocado and beans, and it’s all cooked in one pot! This is a fantastic option for a busy night when you can’t fathom making dinner or even to make ahead and freeze. For our little house of two we used the leftovers for a great easy lunch – LOVE dishes that taste as good or better reheated! I would also be great with a dollop of sour cream.
Cheesy Taco Rice, adapted from Host the Toast
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 red or yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14.5 oz) jar salsa
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 14oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 Roma tomato, diced
- ¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 avocado, peeled and diced
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 4 cups greens
- Add oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add in the turkey and break it up a bit with a potato masher. Add the diced onion and cook until the turkey has browned and the onion is translucent.
- Stir in the spices, chicken broth, salsa, corn, and beans. Bring the liquids to a simmer and then reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 5 minutes, or until the liquid has absorbed.
- Add in the rice in with the mix and toss it around briefly to combine it.
- Taste the rice and adjust seasoning to your liking. Sprinkle the tomato, cheese, and avocado over the rice and then cover once more until the cheese melts, about 2 minutes. Then sprinkle with green onion and serve on top of spinach or other greens!