Do you know what the best part of this week is? If you guess a mid-week day off you are RIGHT! Not to mention it’s the sort of holiday where you load up on fresh produce, ice cream and S’MORES. I’m starting this holiday off by participating in July’s Out Of The Box Sampler pack. The theme for July’s samples was ‘Red, White and Blue.’ I decided a typical granola sample was not going to cut it (not like March’s sample) but that I needed something new and different. After months of scouring the internet for an oatmeal cookie or granola bar that was decadent and guilt-free I finally found a base and made some tweaks.
These squares are outrageous – cakey, sweet, moist but not mushy. Not to mention you have loads of antioxidants in each bite between the flax, oats, nuts and dried fruit. They couldn’t be easier to make and they keep very well if wrapped tightly in parchment paper or plastic wrap then bagged and refrigerated. (You might not need to take as many wrapping precautions as I, but I am in 120 weather currently…)
Baked Oatmeal Squares
- 1½ cups rolled oats
- ¼ cup chopped pistachios (shelled)
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup dried blueberries
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup white chocolate chips
- ¼ cup flax seeds
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1.25 cups skim milk
- ¼ cup egg substitute
- 1 tsp vanilla paste or extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x9 baking dish with parchment paper then spray with non-stick cooking spray
- In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients and make a well in the center.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the wet ingredients.
- Pour wet into the well in the dry mixture. Stir to combine.
- Pour into a 9×9 baking dish either coated in cooking spray or lined with parchment.
- Bake for 40 minutes until the center is set.
- Cut into 9 squares and let cool.