- ½ cup pearl barley
- 1 ½ cups Water
- 1 (1 ½-pound) Butternut squash, peeled, seeds removed and cut into ½-inch cubes**
- 1 Tablespoon Extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cups Kale, center rib removed and finely shredded (organic preferred)
- 1 medium organic Apple, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 cup Black Beans, drained and rinsed (if canned, organic and BPA free)
- ½ cup dried Cherries
- ½ cup toasted Pecans
- 3 Tablespoons Lemon juice
- 3 Tablespoons Balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 clove Garlic, minced (optional)
- ½ cup Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and Ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- In small saucepan, combine barley, water and pinch of salt. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, stirring occasionally, for approximately 40 minutes, until all water is absorbed. Remove pan from heat. Set aside.
- Toss butternut squash with 1 Tablespoon olive oil, ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon black pepper.
- Spread squash across baking sheet in a single layer. Roast in preheated oven for 25 minutes, stirring once halfway through. Remove squash from oven. Set aside.
- Add shredded kale to large salad bowl. Top with cooked barley, butternut squash, apple, black beans, dried cherries and pecans.
- In medium bowl, whisk together lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, mustard, garlic, ¼ teaspoon salt and
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper. Gradually whisk in olive oil until emulsified. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper as desired. Drizzle dressing over salad. Toss together.
Don't miss out!
Sign up to our newsletter and get all our latest recipes & exclusive offers.