I might as well be snowed in – I am able to get out but it is so disgusting out that I have hunkered down for the afternoon/evening. I decided the snow storm warranted a warm bowl of chili and a piece of cornbread.
The chili recipe is relatively new to my arsenal but it has taken hold, I hope you will give it a try and enjoy it as much as we do. The cornbread is actually a first for me. Normally I buy a Jiffy mix and prepare that, but on my mission to eat almost entirely homemade I thought I would give this a try.
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 pounds lean ground turkey
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes
- 30 oz kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 medium jalapeno, diced (with or without seeds)
- 1 packet low-sodium chili seasoning (or 1 ½ tablespoons of your own mix)
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup water
- Lime, juice and zest
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- Spray a slow cooker with nonstick spray.
- Whisk water and chili seasoning in a measuring cup; set aside.
- In a large skillet heat up oil and cook garlic and onion. Add turkey and cook until browned, be sure to crumble this up into bite-sized pieces. Transfer this to a slow cooker.
- Add tomatoes, beans, jalapeno, and water-chili mix.
- Let it all cook in the slow cooker for 2 hours on high or 5 hours on low.
- Before serving, top with lime zest and juice and a bit of cilantro.
Yields 16 servings. Points Plus: 3
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons corn meal
- ¼ teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup skim milk
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 400. Spray a mini-muffin pan with nonstick spray.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, cornmeal, salt, sugar and baking powder.
- Make a well in the center of the bowl and slowly add in the wet ingredients.
- Scoop evenly into muffin pan. (This will yield 18 muffins.)
- Bake 14 minutes, rotating pan halfway through cook time.
- Let cool in pan for 5 minutes before serving or removing to rack to cool completely.
2 muffins per serving, Points Plus: 2