Now that the wedding has come and gone we get to delve back into our to-do list. The fun one that has things like update recipes and make macaroons on it… Not the one riddled with obligatory tasks like making table numbers. We are looking forward to fun and to relaxing. After all isn’t that what being newlyweds is all about?? Anyways, over the past few years I have adjusted this recipe from the original I was taught by my mother and my original attempt – the one I posted here. This is where we are today.
Cream the butter, applesauce and sugar together. Then add some eggs and mix until well combined.
Next, sift in the dry ingredients – flours, baking soda, salt, and spices.
Now it gets difficult – fold in the apples and the toasted walnuts. *Difficult because this is a heavy, dense batter not because I don’t think you can totally do this…
- 1 stick butter, room temperature
- 4 ounces unsweetened applesauce
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons egg substitute
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 small (or 3 med/lg) Granny Smith apples, cored and diced into 1/4″ pieces
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin trays with papers and spray papers with nonstick spray.
- In a medium-sized bowl sift together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Set aside.
- Cream together butter, sugar, and applesauce. Next whip in the egg substitute, eggs and vanilla extract mixing until light, airy and well-combined
- Add dry ingredients to wet in thirds and mix at a gradual speed – you don’t want to over-mix or make a mess.
- Add the diced apples and toasted walnuts in to the muffin batter and fold to incorporate.
- Fill muffin cups 2/3 full with batter.
- If you are making mini-muffins, cook them for 18 minutes rotating halfway through. For larger muffins you will need 25 minutes, again rotate the pan halfway through cook time.
- Let the muffins cool in the pan for 5 minutes before removing to cooling rack to cool completely.