Some days you need to not think when you get home. Those are also the days you need a balanced dinner – more so than the ‘normal’ days I think. If you can get something mindless and balanced into your belly for you body to process while you sleep off whatever happened on your Manic Monday (Terrible Tuesday, etc). Think of it as an investment in a better tomorrow. And not like going to the gym today (and tomorrow and the day after that times a hundred) will make you healthier down the road… but literally tomorrow morning when you wake up after this dinner in your belly, as opposed to I dunno an entire chocolate cake, you won’t want to vomit. Waking up feeling healthy is a wwaaayy better start to your day than a chocolate cake hangover. Are you wondering if I’ve had cake for dinner and regretted it? Yeah – maybe I have, but haven’t we all? *
If you’ve had a rough day, trust me… Make this pasta and be sure to stash the leftovers for tomorrows lunch. You’ll feel better for it.
- 1 cup fat free plain greek yogurt
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium cloves garlic, crushed or pressed
- 1/2 pound fresh or thawed frozen peas
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 pound whole wheat medium shells
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2/3 cups basil leaves, coarsely torn
- 2 ounces goat cheese
- 4 ounces shredded chicken (optional)
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the yogurt, 3 tablespoons of the olive oil, the garlic, and 1/3 cup of the peas. Pulse until pale green.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil with a few pinches of salt. Add the pasta, and cook until it is al dente. About 2 minutes before your pasta is done, add in the remaining peas so they are cooked.
- Drain the cooked pasta/peas and transfer to a bowl (I like to keep a bit of the water on the pasta so the sauce has help sticking to the shells).
- Pour the yogurt sauce over the warm pasta along with the toasted pine nuts, goat cheese, basil and chicken – season with salt and pepper. Toss gently and serve warm.
*Note: should you still feel it necessary to have cake for dinner, remember to balance it out with some fruit and a glass of skim milk. It’s all about moderation friends.*